Sunday, January 6, 2013

Book Review: "She's Come Undone" by Wally Lamb

Sigh, the weekend is coming to an end, I have to say I'm looking forward to Monday... I woke up at 4:30am to run with Nikki from Slow is the New Fast and man am I going to hit that pillow hard tonight and be up bright and early to finish some more trip preparations... only two days till our departure!
Anyhow I promised I'd write this yesterday and I didn't get around to it on account of having to wake up before the crack of dawn so without further ado:

My Rating (via GoodReads): 4/5 Stars
Kobo Price: $8.99 CAD

Many people on GoodReads have given this book stellar ratings and reviews and it was part of Oprah's Book Club back in December of 1996. "She's Come Undone" was also chosen as a finalist for the 1992 Los Angeles Times Book Awards' Art Seidenbaum Prize for first fiction. The book follows the life of Dolores Price from a pre adolescent age all the way through into her 30's. I really enjoyed the sarcastic and often humorous tone of the book even though at times it was very dark and pessimistic. The book touched on a lot of significant aspects to life: the parallels between mother/daughter, religion, death, sexuality, marriage, and many more. There were times that I despised Dolores and times I loved her and felt I could relate. Without giving much away (no spoilers in this review) Dolores' search for identity is a long and treacherous one and I do feel the ending was rather simplified for such an elaborate life, it seems to reach a resolve, whether it was a "happy ending" or not... well I'm not sure I could answer that.

Having said all that I can't say that I won't pick up another one of Wally Lamb's novels. He has written two other novels, both seem to have been decently received. I have downloaded "I Know this Much is True" another of Lamb's books but have put it on hold as it seems to be a more daunting read... for now I am reading "419" by Will Ferguson.

Sleep tight fellow bloggers! Off to bed I go.

2 comments :

  1. I thought it was a decent read. It's been close to a year since I've read it now and the biggest issue for me is that it just doesn't stand out. There was nothing really all that memorable to me. While I did enjoy the overall tone of the book, by the time i was done with it, I just felt it left more to be desired. I tried to start reading "I Know This Much is True" and ended up putting it down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I agree, "I Know This Much is True" has proven difficult to read so far, thus why I've moved onto another book. Thanks for reading and sharing!

      Delete